UT Health East Texas and StepOne ServiceTM provide hospital-based medical detox.
What is it?
As the first phase in the recovery process, the StepOne ServiceTM is a hospital-based three- to five-day medical detox service. Provided at UT Health Henderson and UT Health North Campus Tyler it is for adults who are in the impending or early stages of withdrawal from alcohol and/or opioids. The goal is to medically assist the individual through the withdrawal process and help navigate the transition to an appropriate level of community-based addiction treatment that can address the underlying causes of their substance use disorder.
- Requires voluntary admission to the hospital.
- Provides round-the-clock medical care by UT Health East Texas hospitalist and nurses.
- Uses protocol-specific medications to reduce the severity of withdrawal symptoms.
Individuals seeking treatment through StepOne ServiceTM must be committed to remaining in the hospital until medically stable. Once discharged from the hospital, they must be motivated to continue the treatment process by transitioning to a community-based addiction treatment service in their community.
- Telephone pre-screening
- In-person assessment
- Admission to the hospital
- Medical detox
- Individualized discharge planning
- Post discharge follow-up